Tonight’s top stories:
- As if I weren’t already excited about ABC’s new comedy Modern Family (previously previewed on this here blog), here comes the news that bona fide movie stars Elizabeth Banks and Edward Norton will guest-star in multiple episodes. Banks was on Scrubs, but Norton does television? What the what?
- Unfortunately, American Idol has more staying power now that Ellen DeGeneres is permanently filling the judge’s chair left vacant by Paula Abdul. But she’s one of my favorite comedians, so I won’t hold it against her too much.
- LeVar Burton was the subject of a recent NPR interview in which he talked about his roles on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Reading Rainbow (the latter of which came to an abrupt end two weeks ago). A lot of listeners called and emailed in to express their appreciation for Rainbow, and their words spoke volumes about the cultural impact the show had over its 26 years.
- How brilliant is this “Snakes on a Plane” ad campaign for House? And how brilliant is it that it’s the brainchild of Hugh Laurie himself?
- And finally, a Norwegian bus driver has legally changed his name to—get ready for it—Julius Andreas Gimli Arn MacGyver Chewbacka Highlander Elessar-Jankova. (And that wookiee rookie spelling error is his doing, not mine.) If he ever bears children, might I suggest that he name them Bond, Buffy, Bilbo, and Bauer?